1 cup butter
1 cup sugar
1 large egg
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. vanilla extract
3 cups flour (whisk in 2-3 tsp. of Matcha)
1/2 cup solid vegetable shortening
1/2 cup of butter
1 tsp. Clear Vanilla Extract
4 cups sifted confectioners sugar
2 Tbsp. Milk
1) Preheat oven to 400 degrees farenhiet. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar with an electric mixture. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Add baking powder and flour/matcha mixture, one cup at a time, mixing after each addition. The dough will be very stiff; blend last flour in by hand (if dough becomes too stiff and does not hold together in a ball, add water, a tsp. at a time). Divide dough into two balls. Do not chill.
2) Working with one cookie dough ball at a time, roll each out on a floured surface to 1/4 in. thick. Cut out stars. Bake on ungreased cookie sheet on a middle rack of oven; small and medium sized stars for 6-7 minutes, larger stars for 10-15 minutes or until light brown. Remove cookies from sheet immediately onto wire racks to cool.
3) If you don't plan to ice cookies for one or two days, store in an airtight container to prevent drying.
1) Cream butter and shortening with electric mixture. Add vanilla. Gradually add sugar, one cup at a time, beating on medium speed. Scrape sides and bottom of bowl often. When all sugar has been mixed in icing will appear dry.
2) Add milk and beat at medium speed until light and fluffy. Keep icing covered with a damp cloth until ready to use. For best results, keep icing bowl in refrigerator when not in use. Icing can be stored for two weeks. Rewhip before using!
1) Build tree starting with the largest cookies on the bottom, and gradually decrease cookie size as you go up. To ensure your cookies stick together, add a dollop of your icing to the center.
2) Add frosting to the points of each cookie star.
3) Decorate as desired and enjoy!